Embark on a thrilling adventure with HHE Podcast, a show that takes you on a rollercoaster ride through the hidden corners of world history! Co-hosts Ryan Weir and Peter Goddard spin the wheel of history in each episode, combining a random mix of place, time, and topic to serve up a captivating blend of humour, trivia, and fascinating tales. Join us as we uncover compelling stories and prove that History Happened Everywhere!
Pete takes Ryan to the Welsh valleys to discover the history of coal mining. Learn everything you need to get started on your new career underground. Discover the miner-turned-author who literally wrote the book on the subject. And find out why an American singing legend singing ‘Old Man River’ meant so much to the people of South Wales. Dig it!
02:12 Orientation to Wales
12:40 History of Wales
21:24 Coal & Ceri!
34:49 The Miner Writer!
47:20 Old Man Miner!
- Welsh National Anthem: https://t.ly/DZSAG
- Bread of Heaven: https://t.ly/-Znth
- Welsh Folk Song – Hen Ferchetan: https://rb.gy/0ny5x1
- These Poor Hands: https://t.ly/O-hQE
- Life of Paul Robeson: https://t.ly/VA8__
- Paul Robeson ‘Old Man River’: https://t.ly/0V8gp
- Audio of Paul Robeson concert: https://rb.gy/gwkm27
- Big Pit Coal Museum: https://rb.gy/b4ohwe
- Thanks to:
- Ceri Thomas of the Big Pit National Coal Museum for his time and knowledge
- Maxfield Weir for his Kingly voice talent
Pete’s Manila episode is in the dock. Did Judge Dersley find Philippine martial arts a fun-filled foray into facts? Or did he not stick with it? Plus discover the story of the beer-based basketball team and learn about fighting cocks on… THE VERDICT!
02:38 First Impressions
08:24 Mega Manilla!
12:14 San Miguel Beermen!
17:40 Cock Fighting!
22:39 San Miguel Eskrima!
27:37 The Verdict
31:10 Outro (+ Shoe Lady)